World Health Organization (WHO) definition of Health － “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Therefore, Green Home or Healthy House is referring to the home or house, which can make residents, be a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being. Being more specific, there are some basic standards of Green Home or Healthy House.
- Less chemical substances leading to allergy;
- Do not use plywood and group decoration materials；
- Chemical equipment has good performance, especially for high air tightness, high thermal insulation. Must use central ventilation duct system to change air from time to time;
- Install exhaust system at cooking utensils or smoking area;
- Keep indoor temperature between 17C and 27C, humidity between 40% and 70% all the year round. Carbon dioxide concentration is lower than 0.1%, suspended dust particles less than 0.15 grams per square;
- Noise is less than 50 dB;
- Resist natural disaster sufficiently, including shockproof;
- Have sufficient lighting equipment;
- More than 3 hours sunshine indoor;
- Sufficient activities area for residents and privacy;
- Convenient to take care of elderly and disabled;
- Building materials contain harmful and volatile organic compounds. Before moving in to the house, ventilation must be carried out for a period of time.
People should pay attention to choosing residential place. For example, it is not a good idea to choose the residential buildings near industrial area with pollution and buildings where industrial factories were located before.
Moreover, it is better to choose small size apartment instead of large size apartment because small size apartment is low carbon and save energy. Try to simplify renovation, choose environmental materials. Install water saving equipment, e.g. water saving toilet, shower bath. Install energy-saving bulbs, plastic steel windows and hollow glass, etc. All these will contribute to our Green Home.